Monday, November 10, 2008

Bad date with a new guy

I have learned that going to a new yarn store is kinda like a first date. You have really really big hopes (he will be the one, he will get my jokes, he will think i'm cute in that orange dress), and usually these hopes are horribly disappointed (unless you date my boy, then it all works out pretty well...that said, you date my boy and my knitting needles go thru your windpipe.)

I went to a new yarn shop. It was my b-day. I get to go. HA.

From the pics online, I expected massive amounts of selection, a smorgasbord of joy and alpaca, and undeniable things that would throw themselves into my bag in a frenzy of yarn lust.

Uh...no.

I think there was about 30-40 different yarn, and I'm being WAY WAY generous. Not a lot of color selection, and really limited on lace weight yarn. If you wanted to make a sweater, you're ordering. It did have a nice sitting area for knitting, and that took up a really large portion of the store--a REALLY large portion. I'm not sure how they pay rent. They had one TINY section of roving--if you're into that type of thing. It was like a revolving stand.

The people there were relatively nice. They didn't kick me. But computer illiterate. It took Andrew a while to check out because they had to put my name and address into their system. The woman doing so was using a hunt/peck method and she seemed to have short term memory loss. Because once she typed a letter--she was convinced it would NEVER be in the same place twice. So she started checking the entire keyboard again. From what I could guess, the prices were a tad higher than most places.

So it was a bad date. A very bad date, and I doubt there will be a second. And like every bad date, there is no getting around the good night kiss. No matter how bad it is...you gotta do the "oh...yeah...thanks...please please please don't use tongue..." kiss.

So I bought some lace weight yarn in a pretty blue color. It was the only thing there that I was pretty sure was a) cheap enough b) good enough I would use and c) I could make something with one skein so I don't have to come back and plead with the dye lot gods.

Though given my history with bad dates, I'm pretty sure the store is going to call me repeatedly and start dating one of my friends.

No comments: