Monday, December 1, 2008

Dear Longtail Cast-on:

These letters are always so hard to write. You never know if you say too much, too little. But I think it's only fair you hear it from me...on a blog...

you're not my favorite cast on anymore

I know, for so many years, you were the one I reached for. the one i knew and cherished, but we have our problems. You know what they are:

  • -I have to estimate how much i need and either I end up with one inch left to make 10 stitches or I end up with three feet to make
  • -You suck for anything that needs to have any give...like socks/lace
  • -When I make you I look like a drunken sailor having a fight with a skinny octopus

Knit on cast on and me have been getting closer, spending more time together. When I'm casting on 331 stitches...you just don't cut it anymore. Kniton and I have been working on shawls, sweaters, hats--and it feels really really right.

And kniton gives like you just aren't capable of.

Don't think of this as goodbye. I'm sure I'll still use you for things...like sweaters where I need some firmness of sleeves...you do a mean sleeve. In a way, we're not breaking up at all...

Instead I'll just be coming over to your house at 2 am when my new boyfriend is out of town.

Love,
-Jen

No comments: